Jul 1, 2010
Are you using wet wipes or moist toilet paper instead of dry toilet paper?
Researchers from The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota published a report stating that painful rashes and other allergic reactions that four people suffered from were caused from a chemical called methylchloroisothiazolinone or MCI found in moist toilet paper. MCI is used as a preservative. People with rashes and reactions did not realize that the wet wipes were a part of the problem.
Although not everyone is allergic to this chemical, about 3% of people do have adverse reactions, according to the Reuters article.
Healthmad reported that “MCI, is well documented as an allergen in Europe. In fact, Europe restricted the use of MCI because of the increased sensitivity they were seeing.”
So what should those who use moist toilet paper wipes do? Try using a dry product that does not contain the allergen. Or check the ingredient label for MCI.